We found some mini cucumbers at the store and decided to can some pickles to enjoy at our first bbq of the summer (which I hope looks nothing like this ‘spring’ we’re currently 'enjoying’).
These pickles are spicy and super vinegary - definitely our favorite concoction from last year. It’s a riff off of the Dill Pickle recipe from Saving the Season.
- 8-10 small pickling cucumbers (3 lbs)
- 2 ¼ cups white vinegar
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 2 tbs pickling salt
- 4 sprigs of dill
- 2 tsp of mustard seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 hot peppers (dry or fresh)
- cut a thin slice off the ends of each cucumber
- combine vinegar, water, and salt and bring to a boil
- pack cucumbers and herbs into sterilized jars
- pour boiling vinegar mixture over top with ½ “ head space
- process for 10 minutes for pint jars, 15 for quart.