Peppers are my favourite.
(Peperoncino, lemon drop, cayenne, that chilli)
The leaves of my cucumbers started turning yellow, so I’m thinking maybe a magnesium deficiency.
Hopefully this is a quick fix - 4 litres of water, 2 tablespoons of epsom salt, and 1 dirty watering can.
Tomatoes are everywhere!
(San Marzano, Japanese Black Trifele, Manitoba, Red Cherry, Roma)
Mid-July Garden Update: Family and plants.
First harvest of the season! Five giant banana peppers.
So, apparently I got some climbing bean seeds mixed up with my bush bean seeds.
Garden Tomato soup - This time, no tears.
I spent the morning crying after finding that our first batch of soup was accidentally left out all night.
The second batch was a delicious followup. The recipe was a patchwork of things I found online, but here is a rough run down:
- Core and chop 2-3 lbs of tomatoes.
- Mix tomatoes with 1-2 chopped onions, about a head of garlic, ½ cup of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on a pan and roast for just under an hour at 450F.
- Remove from pan and place in a pot with about a 1L of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Blend with a hand blender and strain.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add herbs to taste (oregano, sage, rosemary, savoury, etc.), about ¼ cup of butter, and 1 cup of cream.
- Boil for what seemed like a really long time (maybe 1 1/2 hours?) adding cream or milk to cut the acidity.